Sunday, June 7, 2009

Haunted

I am captivated by this thought that I want to be haunted by God...

It's from an email I subscribe to. I can't recommend it enough. I am crazy about Studylight.org and use a lot of their resources in my study of God's word.

The book "My utmost for His highest" by Oswald Chambers is such a goodie and this email subscription sends you a thought from the book every day.

What are you haunted by? You will say - By nothing, but we are all haunted by something, generally by ourselves, or, if we are Christians, by our experience. The Psalmist says we are to be haunted by God. The abiding consciousness of the life is to be God, not thinking about Him. The whole of our life inside and out is to be absolutely haunted by the presence of God.

A child's consciousness is so mother-haunted that although the child is not consciously thinking of its mother, yet when calamity arises, the relationship that abides is that of the mother. So we are to live and move and have our being in God, to look at everything in relation to God,because the abiding consciousness of God pushes itself to the front all the time. If we are haunted by God, nothing else can get in, no cares, no tribulation, no anxieties.

We see now why Our Lord so emphasized the sin of worry. How can we dare be so utterly unbelieving when God is roundabout us? To be haunted by God is to have an effective barricade against all the onslaughts of the enemy.

From 'My Utmost For His Highest' devotional for June 2 2009

I long to be haunted by God. To be unable to live without Him, to be so captured by Him that I can think of nothing else. To be completely and utterly smitten by Him so that all I long for is His presence.

So much of what we are looking for in this world is actually God Himself. Listen to the songs that are written and you hear the longing of the lost for God himself. Underneath the words and melodies is an aching for Someone, Something to love them completely. It's God that we call for. He is the Answer, the Knight in shining armour, the Soul mate we search for.

I want to know that in my haunting I am showing my unsaved friends this God who will be everything they dream of. I am so convicted and motivated.....and haunted.

apple of my eye signature

3 Comments:

Gail said...

This is beautiful Sammy ... so funny because I've just been writing along similar lines... in fact thinking so much about this, this week... although have never thought of it as being haunted!

Simoney said...

Hey Sammy, Thanks for your txt! I have also given you the spotlight THIS week, but have linked it to you new blog, which looks fab, by the way! xx

Penny said...

Awesome post! I can't seem to follow your blog though